Thursday 18 February 2010

Travel Time

This is possibly one of the most downbeat, miserable-sounding songs ever recorded - needless to say, I love it unreservedly. Crispy Ambulance is/was a Sheffield-based band active around the time of Joy Division, an act with which they were unfavorably compared, but with the benefit of time I think it's clear that they had their own gloomy synth and guitar thing and are worthy of more than just a footnote.

I listened to this a great deal while writing the first draft of REVELATION SPACE: it seemed to chime perfectly with the tone of melancholic emptiness I was shooting for, and of course there's a nod to sci-fi in the song title. If you dig this, check out "Concorde Square" and "The Wind Season" and tell they aren't utterly fantastic pieces of driving guitar rock.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I can certainly see why this would have been excellent to listen to while writing RS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. contractually obliged to post this link whenever Crispy Ambulance are mentioned - sorry :)


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUs1rWXpqw

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with HMHB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, sounds like a slightly happier The Smiths! And equally yawn inducing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As well as Joy Division, Travel Time reminds me of The Cure, circa Faith/Carnage Visors.

    ReplyDelete